Monday, June 30, 2014

Back to sanding those walls!

Look closely, stripes still there.
Remember when I mentioned the dining room walls having texture that I had to sand off?  Click here if you need to catch up.  I bought a rotary sander and spent quite some time taking that texture off.  All that was left were the stripes that had been painted on.  I could just paint over that....right?

WRONG!!!  After weeks of putting trim up and feeling like I was about finished with these walls, I started painting over stripes and they showed through!  Now what?  I've got trim all over the walls, which will prevent me from being able to sand them down again like before.  I've also got the rest of the condo to think about.  Sanding creates a huge mess and the place was basically empty the first time. 

I didn't have a choice.  I had to sand before I could paint.  Most projects I look forward to but, I've done this one before and I don't want to do it again.  Oh well, got to.



Sanding "tent" and left-over trim on floor.

I decided it would be worth the trouble to build some "sanding tents".  After taping plastic to the ceiling, I went about using the electric sander on the large sections.  After that, I used a sanding sponge on the small sections between the trim.  The tents worked and kept the dust out of the rest of the house!
 
What a job.  The worst part, is that you can still see stripes in certain lighting, but it's as good as I can get it now, SO TIME TO PAINT!!!!!!!!!






You can see the finished look to the left.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment